Wednesday, October 26, 2005

A Tribute to Samir Kassir

Please visit SamirKassir.net, a small tribute to a great thinker. The new website was created by a group of students, comrades of Samir and members of his family, with useful information about him as a person, and more importantly about his thought. I am sure you will enjoy it, or at the very least, will find it quite informative.

To me, Samir's death will always be something I would reflect upon. The shock, melancholy, grief and disappointment, are emotions that will haunt me as long as I live. It is a weird connection you make with individuals you get to know only through their words and ideology. I have chosen not to talk about his death, especially at a time when everything and everyone is doing nothing but talk; at a time when some were hailing and almost glorifying Ghazi Kanaan... It is only honorable for Samir Kassir and George Hawi to be rested in peace, silently, while working to make their dreams, our dreams, come true.

You were nothing but a breeze,
along this side of our valley,
so tender, fresh and reviving,
so humble and so pure...

Yet a storm was building inside of you,
...A whirlwind
That plucked one thorn after the other.

You were nothing more than a creek,
That flows away from the river.
Carving a path so new, deep and true,
That will remain in our souls forever.

You said hardships can make you strong,
And our failures should make us better.
All those thoughts you have planted,
Will make you live and keep us together....


I think I have slipped into that bazaar I was trying to avoid, so excuse me.

A.T.