Thursday, August 25, 2005

The Curse of the Mus musculus*

I am a scientist. I work with mice. I do make them suffer. I feel bad about it... I really do. I say a little prayer before killing each one of them. Hope they rest in peace.

I would like to convince myself it is for the greater benefit of humanity. And it is actually true (well... unless the benefit of humanity is not a "greater" one- but I digress). It still feels bad though. I mean what should we experiment with? Humans? Some regimes tried it, some are still doing it (Saddam definitely enjoyed it) but it proved inefficient. People are hard to deal with. Imagine having to wait for 9 months each time you make a genetic cross. No way, use flies, mice, frogs or fish... much easier.

What? Not convinced? You still think I am a beast? A heartless sadist? OK here's something to make you happy.

My whole future (at least near future) lies in the womb of one mouse. I have been waiting for this animal to give birth for five months now, and each time it gives me the finger (or should I say the paw?) and shows me who's boss! For God's sake, I only need one pup to finish this project of mine, and be on top of the world. Nobel prize is waiting and a mouse is standing between me and glory. How typical... Is it Karma?? The animal kingdom turning on me now? After all the suffering I've inflicted?

Ahh what the heck, I will wait, it is a battle between the fittest. And we know who won that battle long ago. So here I am, waiting, how long can that mouse hold back its hubby anyway? So there, I have an ally living right in her cage. I'm getting that pup, sooner or later...

But for now, let the Mus musculus enjoy its brief triumph, that Nobel can wait a few more months.


-----
* Mus musculus: scientific name for the house mouse.